Canal Life II

the things hanging from the side of ships to protect against hitting the moorings are called fenders. The word is probably more familiar as the root of defender.

This ship really needs lots of fenders along both sides, to prevent collisions with the sides of the canal.

· · Web · 1 · 1 · 9

@fitheach I've been familiar with that nautical term for several decades now, but I still imagine electric guitars hanging from the sides of the ship.

Ha, ha, yes. Me too.

I think fender was commonly used in British English, but, fell out of use. The word continued in use in N. America where it was used to describe the protective bars on cars. In the UK they are known as bumpers.

It is still in common use, at least in the south, in the form of fending off.

Sign in to participate in the conversation

The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!