People say this place is a street.
But they behave like it's their living room.
While in reality, it's a soapbox on the main square.
Meanwhile all I wanted is a watercooler.
1. Reinvent a square wheel
2. Understand what's so hard about making wheels
3. Observe how a round wheel someone invented a while ago performs better than your square one.
4. Appreciate the brilliant and simple solutions to all wheel design issues that a round wheel implements.
5. Throw away your square wheel.
1. Reinvent a square wheel
2. Push it to production
Rule of thumb: emoji are punctuation.
1. us congress recently passed a law to make it illegal for ISPs to charge an equipment fee on hardware that you already own, yay
2. at&t fiber-to-the-home evades this by placing secret authentication keys into their otherwise standard combo wifi router + ont (fiber modem).
so you ahem, could, wink, use your own equipment, but the service won't work when you do 🤢
ok guys i need your help with something
i may have started working on my selfhosted livestreaming / movienight platform again, and i’m thinking about screwing web browsers and just building a native client app to get fancy stuff like a player that doesn’t suck, softsubs, more codecs, good (optional) p2p, etc.
do you think you and your friends / community would generally be willing to download something to join a stream, or is that too much to ask in ‘21?
(boosting encouraged , i’d really like to get more people’s views on this)
This took a bit longer than I had anticipated, but I can now finally announce a "secret" project I've been working on for a while:
Ncdu 2: Less hungry and more Ziggy.
I'm silently hoping that someone will look through the outliers of the bot's logs...
#UPCPolska has a new customer portal. Instead of a slightly limited help wizard, now they have a stupid chatterbot which doesn't even understand when you call it a stupid bot...
I wanted to share my feedback about how the new website is slow and wastes a ton of space, but neither the new website nor the old one has any way of submitting asynchronous feedback. Best you can get is wait for a live chat with a support person, none of which are available right now...
you may recall me shilling PV panels on my parents' house
dad just forwarded me the invoice for electricity for the first half of 2021, where as you may recall we had four people spending a ton of time on video calls and computers, and the invoice is 25 bucks, basically all just constant per-month fees, nothing to pay in the per-kWh categories
CompSci TA at Uni of Warsaw
Linux nerd, sysadmin
Likes The Unix Way
🇬🇧🇵🇱(🇯🇵 a bit)
The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!